Benefits Of The BDGA Model
The BGDA offers a range of benefits to both schools with established debating programs and those new to the debating. Listed below are just a few reasons why the BGDA will be beneficial to both participating students and schools. If you would like information on the 2016 Competition, please refer to the 2016 Competition page.
Extended, Qualified Adjudications
- Adjudications have a set time of 20 minutes;
- Our adjudicators are highly qualified and have represented Queensland and Australia on national and international levels at school and university levels. They understand the current 'trends' in debating and will provide contextually relevant feedback;
- Adjudicators are trained to be consistent across the competition, focusing on both basic structural techniques and issues, and more complex analytical techniques depending on the teams and individuals.
The BGDA’s short prep format, combined with the guidance and advice of highly experienced adjudicators, really helped me develop as a debater. More importantly, it was a super fun experience and made me even more passionate about debating.
Recognition For High Achieving Students
- The Best Speaker of the preliminary rounds is recognised on the Finals Night and will receive an award as well as a cash prize. Additionally, the Year 12 Best Speaker will receive a $2,000 bursary to QUT Business School. This is determined by our Best Speaker Policy.
- Teams are fairly and transparently selected for the Finals in keeping with our Finals Qualification Policy.
- Winning teams will be receive a trophy, a cash prize for each team member as well as individual $2,000 bursaries to QUT Business School for the year 12 team winners.